Birth Bold: O Is For Own
Connecting with your pregnancy- your little one, before he or she is born is important. Why? because from the first day you discovered you were pregnant you became a mother.
You began to eat better, or not.You began to think in terms of being a mother and having a baby to love and take care of.
For some women, and I see this all the time, they feel a “disconnect” with their body and their pregnancy. So “owning” your pregnancy means taking responsibility for it:
- accepting being pregnant. This isn’t something that happened to you (depending on the circumstance), but a new life forming, developing, and growing within you. It’s not going to go away. You are effectively responsible for it’s care and health even though you can’t see baby- you can feel him/her move though, right? So, for example, if you’re smoking cigarettes – stop. If you drink alcohol – stop. If you think you’re “eating for two” – stop. You’re “building” a baby and what you eat influences your heath and your baby’s. It’s not a reason to eat anything you want, and so on. For example, you need to eat more protein than sweets, chips, fast food, soda, etc.
- accepting physical changes
- being responsible to do the things required to have a healthy pregnancy and baby: eat healthy, avoid gaining weight, take your prenatal vitamins, see a midwife or doctor, take care of yourself (decrease stress)
- GO TO A CHILDBIRTH CLASS!
- connecting with baby through music, prenatal yoga, touching your belly often, talking to your baby
- own your thoughts and feelings about your pregnancy. If you need counsel about your situation – do it
When you own something, you take better care of it. Own you new life now, being a mom right from day one, and care for your little one right now, while he/she is in your belly. Own your pregnancy. It will make you more confident and stronger for future days to come.