This Goes For Preparing For Birth Too
Happy New Year! A New Year and New beginnings, right?
Well planing for and having a baby is an incredible new beginning! It requires a mindset that taps into your values and how you want to bring this baby into the world.
The following video, below, has nothing to do with childbirth. But it has everything to do with MINDSET. There are some very important messages to hear. If you can apply them to how you’re thinking about birth, it can have an impact on what you actually experience. The video talks about finding your “why”. Everything Scott Dinsmore talks about can be related to childbirth and your attitude about it.
These are what I call “transferable thinking skills”. Just because you’r pregnant and anticipating birth doesn’t mean you have to do what most pregnant women do. Read the same books, watch the same movies, worry about the same birthing rumors, listen to all the negative birth stories … etc.
So. How can you apply the following concepts that Scott talks about to your pregnancy and upcoming labor? And you have the added bonus of applying these concepts to your life in general… 🙂
- become a self-expert. Learning about how your body works during labor, current pain management methods that work, etc, is all up to you. If you “keep your head in the sand” things have the potential to happen to you because you didn’t educate yourself. Avoid letting that happen.
- what are your unique strengths. We all have them and it’s knowing what these are that will help with challenges.
- what are your values. Values and beliefs are what we base our decisions on. If your belief about birth is based in fear then you will experience it. If you challenge your belief about this and really ask yourself “is birth really something to fear?” then you’ve opened up a new possibility of what might be like instead.
- what have you learned from life experiences so far, explore what you’ve learned and apply it to what\s happening in your life now. For example, have you ever listened to someone else’s advice and followed it only to discover it was the wrong advice for you? What’s the lesson? You tell me, write your comment below.
- who inspires you. What pregnant woman do you know, or heard of her birth story that made you feel, wow I can do this? Can you think of someone? Write about it in the comment box below.
- are others telling you, you can’t do it? Just get the epidural, you can’t handle pain, and so on. Ignore the naysayers. Is your partner doing this to you> Tell him to take the “Dad Class” to learn a few things, especially how to support you.
Here’s the thing, no matter what you do in life, you’ll always be challenged. Even during pregnancy and and birthing your baby. But, how you choose to think about what ever is challenging you, how you respond to it all will make the difference…
Pregnancy and birth is not a horrible experience. Choose who you share your pregnancy experience with, mix with those who have had positive experiences, and view birth as a positive experience. It’s just that important. And most of all, believe in yourself.
Birth bold, and be a “birth legend”!
PS. Tell me what you think, write your comments below/